Monday, June 13, 2011


Hello everyone! My name is Cindy and I have been a speech language pathologist for over 30 years. Right now I work with pre-school and school age children, but I have previously worked with adults. I am also an adjunct professor and teach some undergraduate speech classes. I love what I do because I have the opportunity to meet new families and help them learn how to help their children overcome their communication difficulties.  I originally went into speech after visiting with a speech pathologist that was in private practice.  I was an undergraduate student that started out in early childhood education, but decided after a two week observation, that I was required to complete for a class, that that was not for me!  The 20 to 1 (20 little children and one adult) ratio was too overwhelming for me.   Then I tried accounting!  Strange I know, but I was looking for something completely different --- that was not for me either.  Then one day a friend was listening to me lament about not being able to decide what to do with my life and suggested that I visit with a friend of hers who was a Speech Pathologist. I took her up on it and the rest is history! I’m excited that my daughter, Kristina, decided to become a SLP and hope she finds her journey as an SLP as rewarding as I have.

Hey guys! My name is Kristina and I am in graduate school for speech language pathology.  I should have known that I would become an SLP. I literally grew up in the clinic where my mother worked and was asking questions about the “Golden” Fristoe while I was still in elementary school. Growing up I always thought my mom had the best job, mostly because her office had the most glorious. Room. Ever. The toy room! It was Heaven on earth, though the room was small, it had shelves from top to bottom filled with all kinds of toys. I could entertain myself for hours! I loved going to work with mom! Even though it seemed like speech was a clear choice for me I went to college and I majored in everything else. Seriously, you name it and chances are I had that major for at least a month. For various reasons I could not stay settled on any one career. The pressure to pick a job that I would want to go to five days a week for the next 40 years was crazy! My mother begged and pleaded with me to just try one speech class. I finally caved to her request and ended up really liking it! Guess mom really does know best! When I graduate I would really like to work in the schools. Like mother, like daughter!
We want this blog to be a place where we can share our experiences (both good and bad), thoughts and therapy tips. Mostly we look forward to learning from y’all and hearing what therapy materials and methods you like best! We think it is important to constantly be evolving as a therapist and a person. We have discovered that the best way to do this is to stay in touch with other Speech Language Pathologist!

Mom and me with Aubie! War Eagle!


The entire family!

No comments: